Tom's Trailer Talk - Quick Tips
"QUICK TIP" ARTICLES ARE ABREVIATED CLIPS OF VALUABLE INFORMATION ABOUT HORSE TRAILER SAFETY WITH THE INTENTION OF KEEPING YOU AND YOUR HORSES SAFE WHEN TRAILERING. EXPANDED INFORMATION IS AVAILABLE BY CLICKING ON LINKS THROUGHOUT THE ARTICLES.
Tom Scheve is co-owner of EquiSpirit Trailer Co. He and his wife, Neva have written the nationally acclaimed horse trailer text book, “The Complete Guide To Buying, Maintaining, and Servicing a Horse Trailer,”is endorsed by National Horse organizations across the country and has written numerous safety articles in national horse magazines. He has dedicated his professional careers to horse trailer safety. You can reachTom by email or by calling toll free 1-877-575-1771.
- QT-1 TIRES - Your horse’s well-being is riding on your tires.
- QT-2 COUPLERS - Couplers are the lifeline between your tow vehicle and trailer.
- QT-3 TRAILER SIZE - If your horses don’t fit correctly in your trailer, they are at risk of injury and illness.
- QT-4 SUSPENSION - You probably don’t know how your trailer suspension works. It’s okay. No reason you should. You just need to grasp how it affects your safety.
- QT-5 BUMPER PULL HITCHES - Frame mounted hitches have weight ratings. Tow vehicles have towing capacities. They are not related. Not identifying hitch ratings may cause your hitch to fail.
- QT-6 SAFE TOW VEHICLES - Towing with an inadequate tow vehicle will endanger you, your horses, and others out on the road.
- QT-7 TRAILER TERMS YOU SHOULD KNOW - Have you been confused about trailer weights and capacities? Knowing these terms is imperative when choosing a safe trailer and tow vehicle.
- QT-8 BUMPER PULL VS GOOSENECK - Two horse bumper pulls and two horse gooseneck trailers are equally safe when hitched properly. Both have advantages and disadvantages. For more than 2 horses, always choose a gooseneck.